Congratulations, you are an Open-Water Skier!
*Keep checking back for updated tips, advice, and articles, plus a host of video instruction designed to keep you moving toward the next level.
What it looks like:
• You are able to get up with ease and cross the wake with some confidence.
• You understand how increasing your speed affects your timing and how your ski reacts in the water.
• You're beginning to ski faster across the wakes and eliminating slack from the rope in your turns.
What you're working on:
• Adding more confidence and reacting ability into your stance.
• Gaining momentum as you cross the wake so you can coast for at least four seconds on the side of the boat.
What you should do next:
• Videotape your skiing so you can see the bad habits you need to improve and eliminate.
• Start shadowing buoys in the slalom course then slowly progress to skiing around buoys without gates.
• Continue to attend ski schools or participate in clinics for seasonal coaching to keep you on track.
Best Tip: Start shadowing buoys.
If you have access to a slalom course, start shadowing buoys and then start going around buoys. Leave out the entrance gates for now. Start on one ball, and slow the boat speed down. –Gordon Rathbun
Will Asher gives his perspective on finding your own rhythm
Wade Cox explains how open-water drills can help with your tempo
How to Shadow Buoys
Chris Parrish offers helpful hints for getting the most out of this drill
Skiing the Course for the First Time
Matt Rini offers his wisdom on the matter with easy tips to follow
Correct Craft Ski Nautique 196
Chris Parrish and Glen Juback talk about their favorite boat
Malibu Response LXi
Will Asher and Heike Neumann tell you why they love this boat
MasterCraft ProStar 197
Wade Cox and Chris Lownsbury discuss this universal favorite boat
Terry Winter talks about what he likes about the F1 and its design
Thomas Degasperi talks about why he chooses to ski on this stick
Will Asher explores some of the design elements of this winning ski
Glenn Campbell shares secrets on how the Sixam helps his skiing
Drill It In Your Technique
Get into a better leverage position with only minutes of practice
Here are four tips for keeping your hands in shape
Improve the Natural Way
Finding that athletic position on your ski
Tale of the Tape
Learn how to get the best video footage to analyze your technique
The Happy Knee Plan
Try these exercises to keep your knees healthy all season long
Four tips to maximize your workouts
My WaterSki Network
Check out our level-specific community forums